Sunday, November 23, 2008

I am thankful for.....

Since Thanksgiving is quickly approaching I have been thinking of the things I am thankful for. Here are 10 things I am thankful for:
1. The opportunity to be a mother I absolutely love being a mom! I think it's one of the most challenging roles, yet very rewarding at the same time. I am so glad I can stay home with them. When I was going to school to become a nurse practitioner I didn't have much time for Nathan and I feel I missed some precious moments. I am glad I will have more time for him and Annikka now.
2. Family
My family brings me so much joy! I have the best parents in the world & the best two sisters and brother! Although distance has separated us over the years, we are still very close. I also have a great husband. He is so much fun to be around! I love that he loves to always be with his family! When I think of my own family and what a beautiful thing it is, I can see why satan is working so hard to destroy it.
3. Jesus Christ
Because of my Savior I can be with my family forever. What a beautiful blessing this is! I am truly grateful for his sacrifice! It is nice to know that there is one who understands my pains and sorrows. His beautiful example & words give me hope and lift me up.
4. This beautiful world
When I look around at this beautiful world I know that it was thoughtfully planned and created for us. So much of this world is majestic and beautiful - - I know that it did not come about by chance. If you ask me, some of the best places on earth (that I have been to) are:
- Redwoods in northern California - I love the big redwood trees, the dense green forrest and the beautiful ocean scenery!
- Yosemite national park - Looking out over half dome is quite amazing & the waterfalls are so powerfull and breathtaking!
- Lake Almanor in northern California - I love high mountain lakes surrounded by pines!
- Zion National park in southern Utah - the narrows and subway caves are so spectacualr! It's fun to hike through the rivers that carved them.
- Havasupai waterfalls in Arizona. The emerald waters here are amazing! I can't believe there is so much life in a desert - a beatiful oasis!
- Timpinogas mountain - This is the most beautiful hike! I love to look out over the valleys below when I have reached the top.
- Snowbird ski resort - nothing compares to a day skiing at snowbird!
- Starr Valley Wyoming - This place is the best hidden secret of the west! The scenery is so beautiful here and the best thing is that it's not very populated!
- Peninsula park in Wisconsinin in the fall - The beautiful trees and view of Lake Michigan are truly breathtaking!
- Williamsburg Virginia - I love the feeling of the early colonial times that is preserved here. It is a beautiful place with a thick canopy of trees - just like much of the eastern coastal area.
- Haunama Bay Hawaii - It's been a long time since I was here, but I remember as a child how spactacular this was. I loved swimming in the ocean with all of the colorful fish!
- Beach Manual Antonio in Costa Rica - I've been to this beach twice and I love it because it is so prestine...white sand, monkeys, aguanas & so many trees...it doesn't get prettier than this!
- Tikal mayan ruins in Guatemala - This place is so cool! The ruins are in the middle of a vast rain forrest where there are loud monkeys climbing through the trees and colorful toucans. It's an amazing site!!!
- Neuschwanstein - I love this majestic castle in Germany but the best thing about it is it's surroundings. It's located in a dense, hilly forrest and is absolutely gorgeous!
- Austria - I only saw a portion of this country, but I was amazed at everything I did see here...the rolling green hills and giant mountain ranges were spactacular!

Well my list could go on, but I better stop here (for the sake of time)
5. Seasons
Living in southern California has made me aware of the blessing of seasons. I tend to appreciate the spring even more after a long, cold winter. And I look forward to the fall after a hot summer. The transition into each new season is exciting for me! I like to compare this to adversity. We appreciate joy, happiness and the light of Christ more after we experience sorrow, loneliness and grief. I also like to think if we had everything we wouldn't look forward to anything. I feel we can't be truly happy until we are content with what we have.
6. Challenges
I am thankful that challenges help us grow and give us a greater sense of accomplishment and self worth if we endure them well. Some of my greatest challenges have been: graduate school, my husband being in medical school and now residency (mostly because the schedule is so rigorous & we don't get to see him very much), attending the Spanish branch for 3 yrs. in Milwaukee (only because I don't speak Spanish fluently yet - - I love the language though!!!), giving birth, running marathons, taking care of difficult patients!!! Really these are not horrible challenges. I admit that I have had a pretty easy, peacefu1 life so far, but I'm sure there will be more difficult ones ahead. The lessons I have learned so far in life have helped to fortify me and prepare me for what's ahead!
7. Friends
I have always been blessed with great friends! So thanks to all of you who have befriended me and been there for me over the years - - you know who you are :)
8. Technology
A little kid mentioned in primary the other day that he is thankful for technology. It made me realize how technology is a huge blessing to me and all of us. I can stay in touch with loved ones through the computer/internet and phones. I can drive or fly to visit loved ones far away. I can hear the words of modern day prophets on the television or internet. What other time in history has this been possible?!
9. Mountains
This may sound a little strange but I am thankful for mountains!!! Some of my most memorable times have been spent hiking, camping, swimming, skiing, sledding or glacading(a word my dad and I made up for sliding down a mountain on our bottoms on the snow). I have climbed many, many mountains and want to share my love for mountains with my children!
10. Teachers, mentors & role models
There are many people who have been an influence for good in my life. From primary teachers to nursing instructors - - I am thankful for you all!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aah you are so sweet. That is a beautiful list of things to be thankful for.

Tasha said...

It is nice to be able to sit and relect on all the things we are grateful for. I know I am grateful you moved into our ward! I feel lucky to get to serve with you in Primary and lucky to be friends.